Sunday 27 December 2009

The Sunday Read: Christmas Acquisitions


I had a wonderful, successful, family-orientated Christmas period this year, in which I had two turkey dinners, six desserts, a lot of wine, champagne and malibu, and consumed at least half of my bodyweight in Lindt chocolate. Just as Christmas should be, then.

I was fortunate that everyone I gave presents to seemed to like them this year, and I was also lucky enough receive a lot of lovely presents in return. Aside from something camera-related and so exciting it deserves its own post, I unwrapped cosmetics, wooly socks, two adorable beret hats (one white, one black, both sequinned), two pairs of earrings and two necklaces, chocolate, a couple of gift vouchers... Oh yes, and a whole lot of books, including Spoken Here - Mark Abley; The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson; The Seeds of Speech - Jean Aitchison; Vanishing Voices - Romaine & Nettle and Through the Lens - a collection of some of the best-ever National Geographic photos.

And so with that, let me present you with my personalised definitive must-read list for (at least the first few months of) 2010:
  • Dissolution - C. J. Samson
  • The White Queen - Philippa Gregory
  • The Lost Continent - Bill Bryson
  • West of the Wall - Marcia Preston
  • Wolf Hall - Hilary Mantel
  • Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks
  • The Winter Ghosts - Kate Mosse
  • The Call of the Weird - Louis Theroux
  • Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood
  • Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
  • Kommandant's Girl - Pam Jenoff
  • Glamorous Powers - Susan Howatch
  • Spoken Here - Mark Abley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate every comment, and promise to respond, so do leave a link to your blog! :)

Also, if you like what you read here, please do consider clicking Follow.

Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...